The Castle of St John is a medieval tower house in the centre of Stranraer. It was built around 1500 by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in Wigtownshire. Over the centuries the Castle has been used as a home, a local court, a military garrison and a prison.
Videos and reconstructions are used to tell the story of:
The medieval landowners who built and lived in the Castle. The Government troops who used the Castle as their headquarters during the "Killing Times" in the 1680s. The criminals and debtors imprisoned in the Castle during the 19th century. There is an activity room for families and children. The Castle is in the centre of Stranraer.