Show Navigation

Partner Museums

The Stewartry Museum

The Stewartry Museum

Description:

The Stewartry Museum was founded in 1879. As the collections grew, the present purpose-built museum was opened in 1893. In recent years the interior has been considerably upgraded whilst retaining its charm as a traditional late Victorian museum. Its collections chiefly relate to the human and natural history of the Stewartry also known as Kirkcudbrightshire. The permanent collection includes the "Siller Gun" - Britain's earliest surviving sporting trophy, and works by Kirkcudbrightshire artists including Jessie M King. Temporary exhibitions highlight different aspects of the collection and Museums Service activities.

Opening Hours:
Winter 1 October to 15 April, Mon-Sat 11am-4pm. Summer 16 April to 30 September, Mon-Sat 11am-5pm; Sun 2pm-5pm
Admission:
Free The first floor of the museum is reached by a staircase - please contact us for more information
Address:
St Mary Street, Kirkcudbright DG6 4AQ
Tel:
01557 331 643
Email:
stranraermuseum@dumgal.gov.uk
Web:
http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2333

Star Items


75
Pottery handle, bone comb and iron object, Castledykes, Kirkcudbrightshire
79
Jacobite & Catholic Reliquary
1523
Galespar with Galena Blend and Iron Pyrites
5108
Arab Figures