The County Buildings were constructed in 1862 as the administrative centre for the former county of Wigtownshire. The flamboyant French gothic style of architecture is both unexpected and wonderfully out of place in such a small Scottish market town.
The County buildings were renovated a few years ago and are now
used for a variety of community-related activities. The building
also houses the town library, a wild life interpretation room and a
The museum, which is part of the Dumfries and Galloway Museums Service, tells the story of the Burgh of Wigtown and various items of Wigtown memorabilia are on display. The most important group of objects is a collection of bronze weights and measures acquired by the Burgh in 1707; this is the most complete set of early 18th century town weights in Scotland.
On the ground floor of the County Buildings are the remains of an 18th century prison cell known locally as 'The Martyrs Cell' because of its supposed association with the Wigtown Martyrs. The cell is open to visitors.