Show Navigation

Art Collections

The Stewartry Museum

The Dee

Period:
20th Century
Description:

William Robson was born in Edinburgh and trained there and later in Paris. After Paris he went to paint on the island of Capri where he met his wife, Carmella, a Neapolitan fisherman's daughter. He returned to Edinburgh in 1900 with his wife and family, for the sake of his children's education. In 1902 he became Chairman of the Society of Scottish Artists. Through E.A. Hornel, he became acquainted with Kirkcudbright and moved there in 1904, initially renting the house and studio at Woodlea, which had been the artist William Mouncey's home. He and his family eventually settled at the Old King's Arms at 52, High Street, which became one of the social centres of the Kirkcudbright artistic community.

 

Robson was noted for his ability to work quickly in pastel, amedium he preferred for capturing the fleeting lighting effects he observed around the town at sunrise or sunset, and which interested him particularly. In this typical expample, the sky towards the end of the day is reflected in the waters of the Dee, near Kirkcudbright.

Materials/Media:
pastel on paper
Dimensions:
250mm x 340mm
Source:
Tolbooth Art Centre
Digital Number:
SWFA045n
Creation Date:
c1915
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council