Show Navigation

Photography

Photographic Views of Kilmarnock & Loudoun

Kilmarnock Power Station

Period:
20th Century
Description:
The heaviest users of the electricity produced by Kilmarnock's power station when it was first built were the trams which ran through the town, however as more and more buildings and businesses were switched on to electricity it became more and more in demand, in fact by 1924, the Kilmarnock Corporation not only supplied power to Kilmarnock itself but also to North Ayrshire and to Ayr.  It was hooked up to the national grid in 1932 qnd remained in use until the 1970s.
Place of Production:
Kilmarnock
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
The Dick Institute
Digital Number:
EAPG236n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council