Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Castle-Stewart (Ravenstone)

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Ravenstone castle was described as “a very good house” in 1684 when the early 17th century tower house built by Kennedy of Blairquhan was owned by Robert Stewart, second son of the Earl of Galloway. This view was taken before 1874 and the last of several extensions. After unsympathetic, military, war-time occupation the castle had become derelict by the mid-20th century but in recent years some restoration has been carried out on the oldest part of it. A vivid description of living in the vast mansion around 1930 appears in This Small World of Mine by Sir Hector Duff.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.19
Digital Number:
SRPG061n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council