Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Garliestown

Period:
Victorian
Description:
The meal mill, the large, white building gable-on to the street at the junction of North and South Crescents, right of centre, was burned down in November, 1889; the photo therefore predates that year. The mid-1880’s bowling clubhouse has not yet been built. Like Port William on the other side of the peninsula, present-day Garlieston was a planned village created when the local laird expanded a small, fishing clachan at the mouth of a burn. In World War Two this peaceful scene was transformed when Garlieston became the service port for the experiments trialling the Mulberry harbour.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.16
Digital Number:
SRPG058n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council