Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Glasserton Church

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Glasserton parish church is well thought of by architectural historians for the harmonious blending of the 19th century tower and aisle with the 1732 church. The birdcage belltower on the west gable supposedly came from Kirkmaiden church when that parish united with Glasserton. However the church seems a strange choice for the album given the proximity of a more obvious candidate, the Robert Adam-designed Glasserton House, regrettably demolished in 1948. Perhaps the presence close by of a 1590’s carved stone to Lady Garlies dictated the inclusion of this picture.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.10
Digital Number:
SRPG052n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council