Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Isle of Whithorn Harbour

Period:
Victorian
Description:
The CK registration shows that this is the Colchester oyster fleet here for the season. Oyster fishing was certainly carried on locally between the 1840’s and the 1870’s and perhaps longer. The fleet seems to have varied between 12 and 50 with Port William and Garlieston harbours also used: in 1863, 34 boats were based at the latter. Oyster beds were located at Isle Head, probably north of the Scares in Luce Bay, and in Wigtown Bay. The remains of a stone tank used to hold the oysters until onward transportation can still be seen at Isle of Whithorn.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.9
Digital Number:
SRPG051n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council