Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Isle of Whithorn

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Trading schooners at local ports were a common sight until the impact of the arrival of the railways in 1875 began to be felt. The Isle was deeply involved in local maritime transport, both building ships and providing seamen, including masters. In this photo the block of houses at the top of Tonderghie Road, visible in the picture of the harbour and built between 1870 and 1873 for family members by the owner of Tonderghie estate, is absent. The two photos were taken therefore at different times with a considerable interval between.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.8
Digital Number:
SRPG050n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council