Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

Monreith Bay

Period:
Victorian
Description:
Monreith corn mill was one of two mills on the Monreith burn. The other, a waulkmill now converted to a dwelling house, stands at the north-west entrance to Monreith village. Time has been less kind to the corn mill but traces of it are visible in the garden of a bungalow in Mill Lane close to the shore. Both mills existed in 1702 while in 1773 Robert Parker was the miller at the lower facility with John McColm in charge of the waulkmill. Bills from 1821 for the corn mill still exist. Across the bay, in the background, Kirkmaiden golf course, opened in 1905, has not yet been constructed.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.12
Digital Number:
SRPG054n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council