Show Navigation

Photography

Views in Wigtownshire

St Ninian's Church, Isle of Whithorn

Period:
Victorian
Description:
The 13th century chapel on Isle Head is sometimes claimed as the site of St Ninian’s candida casa but it is much more likely that the original structure was a place where seaborne pilgrims to the saint’s shrine at Whithorn could give thanks for their safe arrival. Its ruinous condition, as displayed here, was allegedly partly the work of a retired 19th century sea captain, who removed all the dressed stone for reuse in his new house in the village. The building was restored to its present state in 1898 by the predecessor of Historic Scotland.
Materials/Media:
Gelatin silver-chloride photographic paper
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 2007.2.6
Digital Number:
SRPG048n
Creation Date:
1860s-1870s
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council