Show Navigation

Arts

Sculpture

Rev Harold A Cockburn

Period:
20th Century
Description:

Life size plaster bust of the Rev Harold A Cockburn, Minister and Burgh Chaplain of St Michael's Church, Dumfries from 1930 to 1958.  The final portrait was cast in bronze by Mancini, Edinburgh and is incorporated into a memorial plaque, commissioned by the congregation, in the entrance to St Michael's Church.  It was unveiled on 27 September 1959.

 

Jeffs would have made the original model in clay as a positive. The bronze foundry would then have made a mould in negative. This plaster of paris positive would have been made from the mould to test it before the bronze was cast. This bust has been given a paint finish to replicate the bronze original.

 

The sculpture was among items discovered during renovation of Jeffs home studio, the Yellow Door, High Street, Kirkcudbright in the 1990s. In 1989, when the property was sold, his family presented a large archive to Dumfries Museum. The collection includes newscuttings, a programme and photograph of the plaque unveiling ceremony.

Materials/Media:
plaster of paris
Dimensions:
height: 510 mm, width: 330 mm, depth: 180 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2006.7.17
Digital Number:
DMFA045n
Creation Date:
1959
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council