Show Navigation

Dumfries Silver Collection

David Gray

Punch ladle

Period:
19th Century
Description:

Maker’s mark: “DG”

Dumfries town marks: unicorn’s head, fouled anchor

 

The inscription reads, “Presented by Brother John Robertson in 1815, Late Master and one of the Constituting members of the Annan Caledonian Lodge as a mark of esteem for that body.”

 

Some historians believe British sailors brought the custom of making punch back from India in the 1500s.  The name comes from the Hindustani word for "five" referring to the five ingredients of the beverage, which were sweet, sour, bitter, weak, and alcoholic.  The drink became popular at club meetings and other formal gatherings.

Materials/Media:
silver, wood
Dimensions:
length 557mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1982.32
Digital Number:
DMSW030a-e
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture