Show Navigation

Online Exhibitions

Doon the Watter

Women at Heads of Ayr

Description:

This photograph shows a group of women having fun on the beach at Heads of Ayr. Heads of Ayr was a popular tourist destination that was made accessible by a railway station that opened in 1906. The station closed for good in 1933. With the opening of a new Butlins site in the area a new train station opened a mile away from the original station at the beginning of the Summer season in 1947. It closed again in 1968.

Source:
The Dick Institute
Digital Number:
RI_DI_0075735
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council