Show Navigation

Online Exhibitions

Historic Holiday- Clans, Tartans, and Edwardian Postcards

Campbell of Cawdor

Description:

Motto: Be mindful

Plant Badge: Bog Myrtle

Lands: Cawdor Castle near Nairn. This has been the seat of the Earls of Cawdor since 1510.

 

The Campbells acquired the Thanedom of Cawdor in 1510 through the marriage of Sir John Campbell to Muriel, the twelve-year-old Cawdor heiress who was kidnapped by the Campbells as a baby. This marriage created the Clan Campbell of Cawdor. When Muriel died in 1573, she settled the estate and titles on her grandson.The Campbells of Cawdor do not have a clan chief recognised by the Lord Lyon King of Arms; therefore, it is an armigerous clan.

 

The Campbell of Cawdor tartan is one of several tartans that have been authorised by the current chief of Clan Campbell. Their colours are blue, green, and red.

 



Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
N. TAR 13
Digital Number:
N. TAR 13 Campbell of Cawdor Front, N. TAR 14 Campbell of Cawdor Back
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture