Show Navigation

Agriculture

Horticulture

The Chilcarroch Plough

Period:
18th Century
Description:

The Chilcarroch plough is the only complete example in Scotland of an old Scotch plough.  These heavy wooden ploughs were in common use until the end of the 18th century.  They were pulled by a team of oxen or a mix of oxen and horses.  The number of animals depended on the type of ground being worked but a plough team of eight oxen was quite common.

 

This plough was first used at Chilcarroch near Mochrum, Wigtownshire in 1793.  It was later used at the farms of Culbae and High Elrig.  It was rediscovered in the 1950s.

Place of Production:
Mochrum Smiddy, Wigtownshire
Materials/Media:
wood and iron
Source:
Stranraer Museum
Accession number:
WIWMS 1988.715
Digital Number:
SRMA001a - c
Creation Date:
1793
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture