Show Navigation

Food & Drink

Brewing

Beer bottle, Bryson, Midsteeple, Dumfries

Description:

Joseph Priestly discovered how to make carbonised mineral water in 1772. It was prepared by dissolving carbon dioxide in water and was originally regarded as having medicinal properties. By 1860, it had become easier to manufacture and was being flavoured with fruit syrups, lemons and limes. It had lost its medicinal associations and was being retailed by grocers and wine and spirit merchants, as well as chemists.

 

At first the new drink was stored in earthenware bottles, but the gas escaped through the skin and the drink became flat.

 

Manufacturers switched to glass bottles. However, corks were still used to seal the carbonised mineral water drinks, and if they were allowed to dry out they tended to loosen which allowed the gas to escape. If the bottles were stored on their side, this was less likely to happen, but shopkeepers were reluctant to store them this way.

 

This beer bottle sold from Bryson, Midsteeple, Dumfries, had a cork stopper.

Materials/Media:
glass, cork, white metal
Dimensions:
(bottle) height 250mm, diameter (base) 52mm; (stopper) length 54mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0207.100
Digital Number:
DMDM006n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council