Show Navigation

Mining & Quarrying

Quarrying

Old Quarry Pier, Kippford

Period:
20th Century
Description:

This photograph shows Old Quarry Pier with a view over Kippford village, to the hills over the Urr valley.  It also shows the railway to Dalbeattie Quarry in the river valley.

 

Old Quarry Pier at Kippford was used from 1900 to 1939 by the Caledonian Granite Company, to load many cargoes of granite bound for Manchester and Liverpool.  It was later used by Messrs. Forteath, Dalbeattie, and Messrs. Tier & Goddard, Glasgow.

 

Granite was quarried at Dalbeattie and Creetown. In Victorian times the granite from these quarries was of such high quality that it was in demand both for buildings and monuments. Galloway granite was also used for kerbstones and setts or cobble stones throughout Britain.  These granite setts were exported widely - as far afield as Argentina and Russia.

Place of Production:
Old Quarry Pier, Kippford, Kirkcudbrightshire
Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
length 147mm, width 205mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
PP/Kirkcudbrightshire,Colvend&Southwick/11
Digital Number:
DMPG008n
Creation Date:
c1960
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council