Show Navigation

Mining & Quarrying

The Legacy

Lost in the Leadhills

Period:
21st Century
Description:
The Woodhead mine in Dumfries and Galloway started in 1839 when the first lead was extracted and by 1851 there were 50 houses and a population of over 300. There was also a School and a Library. By 1873 lead mining had stopped, the miners moved away and the village started to decline into its present state, and the last house was abandoned in 1954.
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
Digital Number:
EAPG085n
Creation Date:
2006
Copyright:
The Artist