Show Navigation

Emergency Services

Fire Service

Irvine Burgh Fire Cart

Period:
19th Century
Description:

This fire cart has no motor, it was operated by hand. Twelve men would haul it to the scene of a fire and ten men were needed to work the pump. One man kept the hose in the water and another directed the water onto the fire.

By 1914 this kind of cart had been replaced.  However, during the first world war they were once more  called into action by the Auxiliary Fire Service.

This machine would have been capable of pumping 378 litres per minute.

Place of Production:
London
Materials/Media:
wood
Dimensions:
L 2660mm H 1630mm
Source:
North Ayrshire Heritage Centre
Digital Number:
NATR002n
Copyright:
North Ayrshire Council