Show Navigation

Emergency Services

Healthcare – Hospitals & Infirmaries

Kilmarnock Maternity Hospital

Period:
20th Century
Description:
The first burgh maternity home opened in 1924 in premises in Green Street gifted by Mr. and Mrs Murchland.

In 1937 the Scottish Dairy School moved from Holmes Farm in Kilmarnock to Auchincruive outside Ayr, and the town Council bought the college building for a Maternity Hospital. It opened the same year, and was used till 1987. Since 1991 it has been used as a centre for the handicapped, renamed “Strathlea”.
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
EAPG119n
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council