Show Navigation

Emergency Services

Healthcare – Hospitals & Infirmaries

Voluntary Aid Detachment

Description:

The rockery the nurses are sitting in used to be outside the Dick Institute in Kilmarnock where the women were based during the First World War.  The number of wounded returning from France meant that municipal buildings such as the Institute, which was and is the towns library and museum, had to be pressed into service as hospitals.

Place of Production:
Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
Materials/Media:
photograph
Source:
Dean Castle
Accession number:
kimmg: 1981/1/1/21
Digital Number:
EAPG275n
Creation Date:
1914-18
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council