Show Navigation

Emergency Services

Police – Crime & Punishment

Plaque

Description:

Foundation brass of Buccleuch Street prison, 1802

 

This brass was laid by Charles, Duke of Queensbury who was the sheriff of Dumfries at the opening of the new Buccleuch Street prison in 1802.  This large building was also the site of many Dumfries executions, including the last public execution in Scotland.  The inscription is in Latin.  Part of the brass is missing and may have been torn off when it was removed from the building before it was demolished in the 1880s.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1936.15.1
Digital Number:
DMCP009a-b
Copyright:
Dumfries and Galloway Council