Show Navigation

Sport & Entertainment

Curling

Curling stone from Wigtown

Description:

Granite curling stone with bone and steel handle and inset coloured thistle symbol.  In its original leather carrying case which has the painted name J. LAIRD.  The stone's owner, James Laird, once lived at Torhousekie, Wigtown.  As a young man he emigrated to America and then settled in London just before the First World War.  A keen curler throughout his life, he died in 1954.

 

Materials/Media:
granite and leather
Source:
Wigtown County Buildings
Accession number:
NA/WM 4
Digital Number:
WIST002n
Creation Date:
1920-30
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council