Show Navigation

Sport & Entertainment

Football Clubs

Wanlockhead Football Team

Period:
20th Century
Description:

Although football became popular in Scotland in the 1870s, it was not until the turn of the century that there were participating teams in Wanlockhead. The pitch was laid down by the villagers themselves and a pavilion was built in later years. The team called itself ‘The Wanlock Lads’ and games were keenly contested against Leadhills, Sanquhar and various other local clubs. In 1932, with the mining company starting to pay off its workers, good players left the Village. The club, struggling to find players called it a day in 1939 when war broke out.

 

The ‘Wanlockhead Lads’ had two comebacks. The first, in 1952, lasted for three seasons. The second was in 1977 when it joined the Dumfries and District League. In that year goalkeeper James Harvey won the ‘Player of the Year Trophy’.

Materials/Media:
paper
Source:
Museum of Lead Mining
Digital Number:
WHPG009n
Creation Date:
c1925
Copyright:
Wanlockhead Museum Trust