Show Navigation

Travel

Shipping & Ports

Trade or cargo seal

Description:

Post mediaeval lead trade or cargo seal. Seals were used to tag sacks and other items for export to show that they had been checked.

 

The first mention of Carsethorn being used as a harbour occurs in 1562, and as the trade of the port expanded several warehouses were built to accomodate it. By the 1790s large timber ships from the Baltic off-loaded their cargoes here and many of the houses in the village were inns for travellers.

Materials/Media:
lead
Dimensions:
L 33mm, W 38mm, D 8mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2001.31
Digital Number:
DMDR013a, DMDR013b
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture