Show Navigation

Travel

Shipping & Ports

Trade or cargo seals, Carsethorn Beach, Kirkbean

Period:
18th Century
Description:

Seals were used to tag sacks and other items for export to show that they had been checked.

 

The first mention of Carsethorn being used as a harbour occurs in 1562, and as the trade of the port expanded several warehouses were built to accomodate it.  By the 1790s large timber ships from the Baltic off-loaded their cargoes here and many of the houses in the village were inns for travellers.

Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:2001.32.1=4
Digital Number:
DMDR008a-11b
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picturealternative small picture