Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Burns Mausoleum Dumfries, 1878

Period:
19th Century
Description:

A steel plate engraving of the musoleum erected in Robert Burns' memory in St Michael's Churchyard, Dumfries.

 

In the years following his death, Robert Burns' admirers came to believe that his simple grave was an insufficient memorial to the poet. In 1813,  John Syme formed a committee and launched an appeal to build a mausoleum in his memory. One of the subscribers was the Prince Regent, later George IV. After a public advertisement, over 50 designs were received and the plans of T F Hunt, a London architect were approved.

 

Burns Mausoleum became a place of pilgrimage for visitors to Dumfries. This view of the mausoleum  is engraved  from a painting by J Ramage and was published in "The National Burns".

 

"The National Burns", edited by Rev. George Gilfillan was published by William Mackenzie of Glasgow and contained "The airs of all the songs and an original life of Burns by the editor". It was also illustrated throughout, both by engraved plates and within the text. It was published in 15 parts, costing two shillings each making it an affordable way for people to purchase the complete works of Robert Burns.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 160 mm, length: 110 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:1983.66.15 [The National Burns, Part 7]
Digital Number:
DMBN168n
Creation Date:
1878
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council