Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Colonel Parker's Sword

Period:
19th Century
Description:

This dress sabre belonged to Colonel Parker, a friend and supporter of Robert Burns.  The Parker family owned the Assloss Estate on the outskirts of Kilmarnock from the beginning of the 19th century.  The Assloss estate along with the Dean Estate made up the area of land which is now Dean Country Park.

 

The sword carries an inscription: "Presented by the Royal Kilmarnock Volunteers to their Captain Commandant William Parker Esquire as a mark of their respect for his Character and a Testimony of their high sense of his services to the Corps.  Year 1800."

 

The sword is similar to those used by light cavalry officers of the regular army at this date, but is elaborately ornamented.  The ivory and gilt hilt shows birds and snakes.  The blade is blued and gilt on the upper part and shows the Royal Scottish coat of arms on one side and that of Kilmarnock on the other.

Materials/Media:
steel, ivory, gold
Source:
Dean Castle
Digital Number:
EAAM014n
Creation Date:
1800
Copyright:
East Ayrshire Council