Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Dumfries Bridge

Period:
19th Century
Description:

An image of the Whitesands and Devorgilla's Bridge, Dumfries, made around the time that Robert Burns lived in the town.

 

When Robert Burns exchanged the role of farmer for that of Exciseman he moved with his family from Ellisland Farm into a tenement flat in Bank Street, Dumfries, close to the Whitesands and the River Nith. The family lived here from 1791 until 1793 when they moved to a better quality house in Mill Street (now Burns Street).

 

Dumfries at that time was a lively town of some 5,600 inhabitants, mostly living tightly packed into tenement closes of red sandstone. The town was a busy port and in 1792 Burns was promoted to the Dumfries Port Division of the Excise.

 

This copper plate engraving was printed by S Hooper of London and published in Captain Francis Grose's two volume, "Antiquities of Scotland". Robert Burns and Francis Grose met and became friends whilst Grose was researching his book. Burns wrote the poem, "Tam O'Shanter" as a "witch story" to accompany the engraving of Alloway Kirk which was published in it.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 171 mm, length: 120 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0199.71.1
Digital Number:
DMBN285n
Creation Date:
15 April 1789
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council