Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Dumfries

Period:
19th Century
Description:

A steel plate engraving of the River Nith and Whitesands, Dumfries, the town where Robert Burns died and is buried.

 

When Robert Burns exchanged the role of farmer for that of Exciseman he moved with his family from Ellisland Farm into a tenement flat in Bank Street, Dumfries, close to the Whitesands and the River Nith. The family lived here from 1791 until 1793 when they moved to a better quality house in Mill Street (now Burns Street).

 

Dumfries at that time was a lively town of some 5,600 inhabitants, mostly living tightly packed into tenement closes of red sandstone. The town was a busy port and in 1792 Burns was promoted to the Dumfries Port Division of the Excise. This view of the town of Dumfries is engraved  from a painting by J Ramage and was published in "The National Burns".

 

"The National Burns", edited by Rev. George Gilfillan was published by William Mackenzie of Glasgow and contained "The airs of all the songs and an original life of Burns by the editor". It was also illustrated throughout, both by engraved plates and within the text. It was published in 15 parts, costing two shillings each making it an affordable way for people to purchase the complete works of Robert Burns.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 162 mm, length: 111 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.223 [The National Burns, Part 12]
Digital Number:
DMBN171n
Creation Date:
1878
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council