Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Magic Lantern Slide with Photograph of Burns Monument, Mauchline

Period:
20th Century
Description:

"Burns memorial 'on way to Mossgiel' Mauchline",  a black and white photographic image of the memorial tower.

 

The National Burns Memorial at Mauchline was opened in 1898 by J G A Baird MP of Muirkirk. The building is in sight of Mossgiel where Robert Burns farmed. Behind the tower are the rows of cottage homes which were intended for "deserving persons".

 

Robert Burns first met his wife, Jean Armour, in Mauchline in 1784, shortly after his family moved to the farm of Mossgiel. She was one of the "Mauchline Belles". Their first married home was in the town.

 

Because of their associations with Burns, Mossgiel and Mauchline became landmarks for those visiting Burns' haunts in the latter part of the 19th Century; hence the inclusion of this magic lantern slide in a presentation on "Burns' Country."

Materials/Media:
glass
Dimensions:
width: 82 mm, length: 82 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
Lantern Slide, PEOPLE, Robert Burns / 93
Digital Number:
DMBN113n
Creation Date:
c 1900
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council