Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Masonic jug which belonged to Robert Burns

Period:
18th Century
Description:

This plain white earthenware tankard is decorated with Masonic symbols and bears the text, "Industry Providence Love & Truth The Freemasons Arms".  It belonged to Robert Burns, who was an active Freemason.

 

During the last quarter of the 18th century, Freemasonry was at the height of its popularity.  Burns became a Mason in 1781 and remained involved throughout his life.  Many of his most influential connections were made through Freemasonry.  During his time in Edinburgh he frequented the Canongate Kilwinning Lodge and made many important friends there.  In 1791, when he moved to Dumfries, Burns became a member of St Andrew's Lodge and he last visited this lodge three months before his death.

Materials/Media:
ceramic, white earthenware
Dimensions:
height 120mm, diameter 90mm
Source:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries
Accession number:
DUMFM:1964.144.16
Digital Number:
BHBN084n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council