Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Postcard of a colour tinted photograph of Burns Statue, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:

"Burns Statue and Greyfriars' Church".  A coloured lithographic postcard of the statue of Robert Burns in the town where he died.

 

In May 1877 the town council of Dumfries adopted a proposal to erect a statue to Robert Burns, the town's most illustrious inhabitant. A site was chosen in Church Place, at the junction of the High Street, Castle Street and Buccleuch Street and the local historian William McDowall was appointed secretary of a committee formed to progress the project.

 

The committee approved a model for the statue designed by the artist Amelia Paton Hill. She had exhibited portrait busts, animal figures and genre groups at the Royal Academy, and all these elements are to be found in her statue of Burns, which is probably her best known work.

 

The statue was carved in Carrara by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model. It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882. In the following century it was moved on several occasions to accommodate road improvements in the general vicinity. Its location can therefore look unfamiliar in archive images.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 139 mm, length: 88 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
Postcard, BUR / 121
Digital Number:
DMBN047n
Creation Date:
c 1904
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council