Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Postcard of a colour tinted photograph of the Burns Monument at Kilmarnock

Period:
20th Century
Description:

"Burns Monument, Kilmarnock". A coloured lithographic postcard of the monument to Robert Burns in Kilmarnock.

 

Kilmarnock has many associations with Robert Burns, most notably the first edition of his work was printed there in 1786 by John Wilson, a local printer. Of this first edition only 612 were printed and copies of this rare book are now known as "Kilmarnock Editions".

 

The Burns Monument is in Kay Park and was erected in 1879. It was designed by the Kilmarnock architect, Robert Ingram and has been described as "an eclectic fusion of Scots Baronial, neo-Gothic and Italianate, with a dash of Baroque and a hint of Romanesque."

 

At the front of the monument there is a statue of Burns by W Grant Stevenson. The structure would still be relatively new at the time this postcard was published and would certainly have been a point of interest for those touring "Burns Country".

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 137 mm, length: 88 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
Postcard, BUR / 166
Digital Number:
DMBN061n
Creation Date:
c 1905
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council