Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Postcard of Burns Statue, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:

Postcard entitled "Burns Monument, Dumfries". A colour lithographic postcard of the statue in honour of Robert Burns, posted to Sussex in 1905.

 

In May 1877 the town council of Dumfries adopted a proposal to erect a statue to Robert Burns, the town's most illustrious inhabitant.  A site was chosen in Church Place, at the junction of the High Street, Castle Street and Buccleuch Street and the local historian William McDowall was appointed secretary of a committee formed to progress the project.

 

The committee approved a model for the statue proposed by the artist Amelia Paton Hill.  She had exhibited portrait busts, animal figures and genre groups at the Royal Academy, and all these elements are to be found in her statue of Burns, which is probably her best known work.  The statue was carved in Carrara marble by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model.  It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882.

 

This postcard is something of a curiosity as it has been coloured to illustrate the statue lit by a full moon, with illuminated windows in the surrounding buildings of the town.

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
length 136mm, width 87mm
Source:
Robert Burns Centre
Accession number:
BUR/238
Digital Number:
BCBN043a
Creation Date:
c1905
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council