Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Poster advertising Burns House, Dumfries

Period:
20th Century
Description:
A small handbill advertising Burns House, Dumfries with a lithographic print of a pencil drawing of the kitchen in the house.

 

"Visitors To Dumfries Should Not Fail To Visit Burns' House". Robert Burns died here on 21 July 1796, although his wife, Jean Armour Burns continued to live in the house until her own death in 1834. The house was purchased in 1851 by their son, Colonel  William Nicol Burns and throughout the 19th Century it became a place of pilgrimage for Burns enthusiasts from around the world.

 

In 1935 the house was fully restored and opened as a museum. It was at this time that the external render was removed and the sandstone exterior revealed. This poster, which dates from this period in the history of the house, carries a lithographic print of a pencil drawing of the kitchen by Ian D Stewart.

 

His drawings were also used to illustrate the "Official Handbook of Burns House, Dumfries" published by the "Directors of Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary as Trustees and Custodiers of the House".

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width: 204 mm, length: 254 mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.301
Digital Number:
DMBN238n
Creation Date:
c 1940
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council