Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Snuff mull of Dumfries Burns Club

Period:
19th Century
Description:

This elaborate snuff mull of cow horn was presented to Dumfries Burns Club in 1823 by "A Much Esteemed Member".  It was made by David Gray, a renowned local silversmith and carries his mark. Dumfries Burns Club was founded in 1819.

 

The lid of the snuff mull is engraved, "Presented To the BURNS CLUB of Dumfries BY A much esteemed member ON The Birthday of the Poet 1823".  It is still one of the most valued relics of the club.

 

This large snuff mull is made from a single cow horn and its capacity would allow it to be used by a group of people on social occasions.  There is a silver thistle motif on its side.

Materials/Media:
horn, cow horn, metal, silver, stone
Dimensions:
length 340mm, diameter 65mm
Source:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.266
Digital Number:
BHBN030n
Creation Date:
c January 1823
Copyright:
Dumfries Burns Club