Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Toddy ladles which belonged to Robert Burns

Period:
18th Century
Description:

These toddy ladles, one larger than the other, belonged to Robert Burns.  There is a tradition that the larger one was for serving men, the smaller one for serving women.  These were given to Mrs Adam Rankine by Jean Armour, the poet's widow, shortly after his death in 1796.  Relics of Robert Burns and his household were treasured and preserved.

 

Toddy, or whisky diluted with warm water and sweetened with sugar, was commonly served in Scottish homes as it was thought to be good for the health as well as the spirit.

Materials/Media:
bone
Dimensions:
(stem) length 150mm / 80mm, (bowl) diameter 30mm / 20mm
Source:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.248, DUMFM:0198.256
Digital Number:
BHBN023n
Copyright:
Dumfries Burns Club