Show Navigation

Burns

Robert Burns

Tumbler from the Burns' household

Period:
18th Century
Description:

This tumbler was used by Robert Burns and his family during the time they lived in Burns House, Dumfries.

 

The glass is inscribed "Belonged to Burns" and is from the collection of Dr T B Grierson of Thornhill Museum, the son of Burns' friend and admirer William Grierson. Dr Grierson gave it a catalogue number of 584. Modern curators try not to number museum objects so prominently. His collection was dispersed in 1965.

 

Jean Armour, the poet's widow, continued to live in the family home following the poet's death in 1796.  She remained there for the rest of her life and by the time of her own death in 1834, the house had become a place of pilgrimage.  Relics of Robert Burns, Jean Armour Burns and their household were treasured and preserved. 

Materials/Media:
glass
Dimensions:
height 130mm, (rim) diameter 98mm
Source:
Robert Burns House, Dumfries
Accession number:
DUMFM:1965.615
Digital Number:
BHBN025n
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council