Show Navigation

Collectors & Explorers

R G S Anderson

R G S Anderson

RGS Anderson was born at Ceres, Fifeshire in 1867. After training as a minister he worked in Canada, the Isle of Man and Glasgow. He moved to Wigtownshire in 1919 and was minister to the United Free Churches at the Isle of Whithorn and Castle Kennedy. Anderson, like many ministers of his generation, had a keen interest in archaeology and built up a large collection of antiquities. Some items were donated to the National Museusm of Antiquities in Edinburgh but the majority were kept at anderson's home. On his death in 1939 the collection was bequeathed to Wigtownshire County Council where it formed the nucleus of the County - now Stranraer - Museum.

Read More