Show Navigation

Writers & Poets

Thomas Carlyle

Signature of Thomas Carlyle, First Visitors' Book, Dumfries Museum**see note**

Period:
19th Century
Description:

In 1835 the newly formed Dumfries and Maxwelltown Astronomical Society began converting the old windmill tower on Corberry Hill, overlooking Dumfries, into an Observatory.  They removed the mill machinery and redesigned the interior.  They purchased a telescope, installed a camera obscura and laid out gardens.

 

The Observatory opened on 1 August 1836, and one of the first visitors was Thomas Carlyle.

 

**Actual signature?**

Materials/Media:
paper
Dimensions:
width 205mm, height 330mm
Source:
Dumfries Museum & Camera Obscura
Accession number:
DUMFM:0198.124
Digital Number:
DMBK037a
Creation Date:
5 August 1836
Copyright:
Dumfries & Galloway Council


Alternative Views:

alternative small picturealternative small picture